JOE WICKS is not afraid of throwing a tasty tortilla wrap around his steak – and neither should you be.
Today, in the final instalment of our exclusive three-day serialisation of the food and fitness guru’s new book The Fat-Loss Plan, we have four more of his delicious recipes.
Super-toned Joe, 32, aka The Body Coach, says: “No one should be scared of food. I’m all about making people fall in love with cooking and eating again — in a way that’s simple, healthy and, most importantly, tastes great.
“Nothing annoys me more than a fad diet that tells you that you can’t eat something or must cut something out. If you follow my plan and work out for just 20 minutes three to four times a week, and cook these meals, you’ll be leaner and fitter than ever.”
Six-pack king Joe has been outselling top chefs ever since his first cookbook, Lean in 15, became a bestseller in 2015.
Now millions of fans are losing weight and getting healthy for life with his no-nonsense food and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts they can do at home.
Joe, who has built a £12million fitness empire in just two years, says: “Being healthy doesn’t have to be hard. Keep it simple. Don’t freak out if you have a burger or tub of ice cream — everyone does that.
“Just make sure the next day you cook a lean meal and do a HIIT workout — and you’ll be back feeling great.”
Naked Lamb & Feta Burgers with Beetroot Relish
(Reduced-carb, serves 1)
- 250g extra-lean lamb mince;
- 1 banana shallot, very finely diced;
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest;
- 1 tbsp oregano, finely chopped or 1 tsp dried oregano;
- pinch celery;
- pinch grated nutmeg;
- 1 tsp finely grated garlic;
- 40g feta cheese, crumbled;
- 2-3 crisp iceberg lettuce leaves, torn;
- 1 ripe plum tomato, sliced;
- ¼ cucumber, sliced.
For the beetroot relish:
- 1 cooked beetroot, finely diced or grated;
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped;
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar;
- ½ tbsp cranberry sauce;
- ½ tbsp wholegrain mustard;
- Salt and pepper.
METHOD: Place mince in a bowl with the shallot, orange zest, oregano, celery salt, nutmeg, garlic and feta.
Use your hands to mix it all until well combined. Shape it into a patty.
Preheat the grill to medium-high and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
Make the beetroot relish by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, place lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and cucumber onto a serving plate.
Top with the burger and spoon over the beetroot relish.
- Avoid the “hanger”: “I think we all eat to our emotions – if we’re annoyed, or upset or stressed, we reach for a burger or bag of biscuits, right? Instead do a workout, go for a walk or cook something healthy. It will take your mind off the emotions and won’t leave you feeling worse after.”
- Drink more water: “It will not only help you stay healthy and burn fat more efficiently, it will also make you feel better, give you more energy and even make you look better. Aim for 2 litres a day.”
- Prep like a boss: “Get in some healthy snacks, plan your meals ahead of time, and you won’t even have to think about eating that unhealthy meal as you’ll be tucking into the homemade one.”
Steak Taco with Lime Salsa
(Post-workout, serves one)
- ½ jar roasted red peppers, drained and finely chopped;
- ½ small onion, finely diced;
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely diced;
- 1 plum tomato, de-seeded and finely diced;
- finely grated zest of ½ lime and the juice of 1 lime;
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander, plus extra for garnish;
salt and pepper;
- 1 lean sirloin steak (trimmed of fat);
- 1 tsp cumin seeds; 1 tsp coconut oil;
- 2 corn tortillas; handful shredded iceberg lettuce;
- 1 tbsp zero-fat Greek-style yoghurt (optional)
METHOD:Make salsa by combining the red pepper, onion, chilli, tomato, lime zest and juice and coriander. Season well.
Preheat the oven to 180C (fan 160C/gas mark 4).
Season the steak and sprinkle with the cumin seeds.
Melt the coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan and sear the steak, turning once, for 3 minutes each side (for medium rare).
While the steak is cooking, heat the tortilla wraps in the oven for 5 minutes.
To serve, slice the steak into 5mm strips.
Place some lettuce leaves down the centre of each tortilla, top with strips of steak, then spoon over the lime salsa. Top with the yoghurt, if using, and roll up.
IN one week you will work out four or five times for 20 minutes, with two or three rest days. You will eat either:
Workout day meals – two reduced-carb meals, one post-workout meal, two snacks, or
Rest day meals – three reduced-carb meals, plus two snacks.
(Reduced-carb, serves one)
- 1 x 180-200g skinless chicken breast fillet;
- salt and pepper;
- 1 tsp dried sage;
- 1 tbsp coconut oil;
- 300g cherry tomatoes, halved;
- 30g baby spinach leaves;
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped;
- 1-2 slices parma ham;
- 30g pizza mozzarella cheese, grated;
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
METHOD: Place the chicken between cling film, and using a rolling pin or mallet, lightly beat until about 1cm thick. Season well and sprinkle over the sage.
Melt half of the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip and continue searing until the other side is browned and the chicken is cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil.
Lower the heat to medium and melt the remaining oil.
Add the tomatoes, season well, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
Stir in the spinach and garlic and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the frying pan from the heat.
Preheat the grill to high. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Scrunch the parma ham over the top of the chicken, then sprinkle over the cheese.
Place the pan under the grill and cook for 45-50 seconds, until the cheese is melted. Remove and sprinkle the parsley over the top.
The horrifying thing that can happen to your vagina if you don’t have enough sex (and self love is just as important)
MIND OVER MATTER
What are the symptoms of anxiety, how can it be treated and who else suffers? From Zayn Malik to Will Young
Prostitute who earns £2,000 a week reveals the average penis size … and how much she enjoys work
DON’T IGNORE THE SIGNS
Agonising womb condition that affects two million could ‘trigger cancer’
‘LIKE A PUNCH IN THE FACE’
Woman, 29, will NEVER have kids after docs ‘mistook painful womb condition for heavy periods’
From neon pubic dyes to vagina visors…the bizarre products you can buy for your lady bits (and the ones that will RUIN your sex life)
Joe’s Bounty Overnight Oats
(Post-workout, serves 1)
- Banana, roughly broken;
- 250ml almond milk;
- 100ml coconut milk;
- 30g chocolate protein powder;
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder;
- 100g rolled oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds (optional);
- 2 tsp desiccated coconut;
- Handful of blackberries
METHOD: Blend the banana, almond and coconut milks, protein powder and cocoa in a blender until smooth.
Pour into a container and stir through the oats. Cover with a lid and place in the fridge for eight hours or overnight.
In the morning, transfer the oats into a bowl, loosening them with 2 tbsp water if the texture is thicker than you would like.
Decorate with chia seeds (if using), desiccated coconut and blackberries. Serve immediately.