Nathan Congleton / TODAY
Peanuts, pretzels, butterscotch and peanut butter chips make this the ultimate caramel corn. It will satisfy all your salty, sweet and crunchy cravings.
- 2 quarts popcorn, popped (from about 1/3 cup unpopped kernels)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1½ cup pretzels, crushed
1. Place the popcorn in a large bowl.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter in a pot. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to change to a caramel color and reaches approximately 280°F.
3. Remove the pot from the stove. Add the vanilla. Drizzle the caramel mixture evenly over the popcorn. Lightly toss the popcorn to help coat the pieces.
4. Divide the popcorn into 2 gallon-sized paper bags (as in an old school grocery bag). Divide the butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips and crushed pretzels between the two bags.
5. Seal the bags and toss, using your fingers to break up any large clumps of popcorn (be careful as the caramel corn can be hot). Continue to mix and toss until the chips are fully melted inside the bag.
6. Dump the contents of the bag out onto a piece of wax paper. Let set at room temperature until the popcorn has fully cooled and the butterscotch coating has set.